Monday 6 March 2017

Identities and Film: blog task

2) Complete the Twenty Statements Test yourself. This means answering the question ‘Who am I?’ 20 times with 20 different answers. What do they say about your identity? Write the 20 answers in full on your blog.

I am a son
I am a student
I am a brother
I am uncle
I am black
I am Dutch national
I am arsenal hater
I am 17
I am a football fan
I am happy
I am healthy
I am committed 
I am a grandson
I am a cousin
I am a uncle
I am mentally strong
I am tired
I am against racism
I am a fan of chicken
I am not a fan of grime

3) Classify your answers into the categories listed  on the Factsheet: Social groups, ideological beliefs, interests etc.

Social groups and classifications:
I am a grandson
I am a cousin
I am a uncle
I am a son
I am a student


Ideological beliefs: 
I am Dutch/Somalian
I am muslim

Interests:
I am a football fan
I am against racism
I am a fan of chicken
I am a Chelsea fan
I am a TV fan

Self-evaluations:
I am tired
I am happy

I am healthy

4) Go back to your favourite film (as identified in the lesson). What does this choice of film say about your identity? Are there any identities within the film (e.g. certain characters) that particularly resonated with your values and beliefs?

My favourite film is ‘One flew over the cuckoo nest’ and ‘As good as it gets’. These films perhaps show cases I  respect the people’s views on the internet such as the ratings on IMDB. Also, I am influences by my respect for the actors such as Jack Nicholson.

5) Watch the trailers for the four films highlighted as examples of gay/lesbian representation in mainstream film. How are LGBT identities constructed in the trailers and how are audiences encouraged to respond to these representations?

Philadelphia (1993): The film strikes a moral panic about the issues around sex and aids

The wedding Banquet (1993): The film challenges lots of things including race and homophobia. The Chinese family is very traditional and introduces a white male man who both has to mask their identities in society in order to feel accepted.

The kids are alright (2010): This is a negative view as the two females are seen to be incapable of raising children as they want to see their farther and that it is a male role model .

Pride (2014): The LGBT are represented as accepting their identity, the older generation however aren't aware of the gay community and what they're standing for exactly. People are reclaiming their identities and becoming comfortable.

No comments:

Post a Comment